Skip to content

SITHFAB021 Provide responsible service of alcohol (RSA Course)

Bondi Training Centre is accredited by Liquor and Gaming NSW to deliver SITHFAB021 Provide responsible service of alcohol (RSA Course).


6.5 hours (incl. breaks)


Bondi Junction


$185 incl. competency card fee

Course Introduction

SITHFAB021 Provide responsible service of alcohol (RSA Course) is an accredited course that will provide participant with the skills and knowledge need to serve alcohol responsibly and make a positive contribution to the liquor industry and local community. RSA course is mandatory for anyone involved in the sale, service and supply of alcohol to the public. 

Whether to be a bar attendant, a restaurant server, a retail assistant in a bottle shop, security personnel, RSA marshal, club secretaries, representative working for suppliers, security staff and crowd controller monitoring customer behaviour or working in any other role within the liquor industry, Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) is about meeting your responsibilities under the NSW liquor laws and helping to minimise alcohol related harms.

Bondi Training Centre is approved by Liquor and Gaming NSW to deliver this course.

Please note this RSA course is only for the participants who haven’t done this course before or the competency card expired more than 28 days. If participants have a valid RSA competency card or it has expired recently, you need to do a L&G NSW online refresher course.

  • Participants must be at least 16 years to take this course. But participants can NOT provide service even if they have RSA competency card if they are under 18.
  • Participants must provide one of valid I.D. (eg. Passport, Australian driver’s licence, state government issued proof age card. Note. International driver’s licence is not accepted) attend the course.
  • This course combines plain English, photos, and questioning to ensure all learners are able to have the best possible chance at comprehending the required knowledge and skills. language, literacy and numeracy that are essential to performance. 
  • LLN ((language, literacy and numeracy) skills will be assessed prior to entry to the course.
  • If participants need assistance due to the language, literacy or numeracy skills, please contact us to discuss the training needs.

During this course, you will learn how to sell and serve alcohol in a responsible fashion. The course will include information about:

  • Legal requirements related to venues, minors and signage
  • Assisting customers to drink within the appropriate limits
  • How to react to alcohol affected customers and identify those whose service should be refused

Assessment will confirm knowledge and skills have been achieved to demonstrate competency across the unit. Assessment will be in accordance with the Principles of Assessment and the Rules of Evidence.

Participants are offered multiple opportunities to demonstrate knowledge and skills throughout the course. If a student is not successful in completing all assessments satisfactorily, they will need to rebook the course at the full course fee.

Volume of learning:

6.5 hours classroom assessment in form of:

  • written theory questions
  • case study scenarios
  • practical skills demonstration

If participants perform competently in their assessments, they will be issued with a Statement of Attainment in SITHFAB021 Provide responsible service of Alcohol. Initially, a temporary /interim RSA certificate issued by Liquor and Gaming NSW. This can be used to commence work and is valid for 90 days. After 90 days, an RSA competency card must be presented to work in any licensed premise.

Participant will need to bring the interim certificate to obtain a RSA competency card from Service NSW office.

RSA competency card is valid for 5 years after that a L&G NSW online refresher course is required.

All participants doing nationally recognised training from January 1, 2015 need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). 

For more details and to create a USI go to the Government USI site 


Is there an age limit for the RSA course?

Participant can complete the RSA course at any age, even under 18 years. It may required by the employer to have to competency card, even if not serve alcohol.

Can I work in another state other than NSW if I take this course?

Yes. Your statement of attainment is recognised nationally. You can use the statement of attainment to work in QLD, NT, ACT and TAS, except VIC. You will need to do a  bridge course if you want to work in VIC. 

Can I work while I’m waiting for RSA Competency card?

Yes, as your interim card is valid for 90 days. And you can get the digital version of the card as soon as you visit Service NSW to have your photo taken and proof-of-identity check. For more information about digital competency card please read here.

How long is the competency valid?

Your NSW competency card expires after five years. Your expiry date is displayed in your digital version of the card and on the physical card.

If your contact details are up-to-date, you’ll start receiving reminders by email and SMS to renew your competencies, like RSA and RCG, approximately 3 months before your card is due to expire. If you hold more than one competency, all expire on the same date.

You should not repeat courses at approved training providers to renew your card while it is still current, as they will not extend your card.