RIISS00054 Traffic Controller

Bondi Training Centre is accredited by SafeWork NSW to deliver Traffic Controller Course (Blue Card)


1 day + half day live practical assessment


Bondi Junction


$250 +$80 assessment fee

Course Introduction

RIISS0054 Traffic Controller Skill Set (Blue Card) is a training course to become an authorised traffic controller. This course teaches students how to control traffic with a stop-slow bat, portable traffic signals or similar traffic control devices, stopping or slowing traffic as required. It is aimed at creating a safe and more secure road environment, preparing students to perform traffic control skills to their best to avoid accidents and improve the over conditions of traffic.

The unit equips students with the skills required for controlling traffic, directing road users, communicating using various methods and devices, carrying out risk assessments, identifying safety implications of traffic control at road works and personal responsibilities. Upon successful completion, the student will understand Traffic Control Guidance Schemes (TCGs) also known as Traffic Control Plan (TCP) for the site, as well as legislation and Work Health and Safety applicable to them and their work colleagues. They will be able to set up and close traffic control devices according to a nominated TCGS/TCP and check, clean and store equipment on completion of work.

Bondi Training Centre has been approved by SafeWork NSW and is also accredited by Australian Skills and Quality Authority (ASQA) to deliver this training course. 

  • Participants must be at least 17 years to take this course, and 100 points I.D. are required on the day of the course. (IMPORTANT: If participant fails to provide 100 points I.D. on the day of course, participant will not be allowed to attend the course, a $100 reschedule will be charged to book another course date).
  • Participant must wear appropriate PPE (eg. long pants, long sleeve shirt and closed shoes (preferably work boots), hard cap).
  • Stop/direct road users using a stop/slow bat and understand stopping sight distances
  • Monitor traffic with portable traffic control devices and temporary traffic signs according to traffic management plans and traffic guidance schemes
  • Maintain traffic incident reports
  • Understand the Traffic Guidance Schemes (TGSs) also known as Traffic Management Plans (TMPs) for the site
  • Assess and respond to changes in the environment, for example traffic volumes, weather conditions, road conditions, Work Health and Safety (WHS) and operational requirements
  • Carry out risk assessments for personal safety
  • Participate in toolbox talks (specific to traffic control)
  • Use communication methods and devices
  • Conform to traffic control policy and procedures
  • This course combines plain English, photos, and questioning to ensure all learners are able to have the best possible chance at comprehending the required knowledge and skills. language, literacy and numeracy that are essential to performance. 
  • LLN ((language, literacy and numeracy) skills will be assessed prior to entry to the course.
  • If participants need assistance due to the language, literacy or numeracy skills, please contact us to discuss the training needs.

Assessment will confirm knowledge and skills have been achieved to demonstrate competency across the unit. Assessment will be in accordance with the Principles of Assessment and the Rules of Evidence.

Participant are offered multiple opportunities to demonstrate knowledge and skills throughout the course. If a student is not successful in completing all assessments satisfactorily, they will need to rebook the course at the full course fee.

Volume of learning:

One day training and theory assessment in form of:

  • written theory questions
  • case study scenarios 
  • practical skills demonstration

One day practical assessment (assess by SafeWork NSW accredited assessor)

  • Participant will need to attend a live practical assessment (please book the assessment here) once all the classroom training has been completed. The assessment will be conducted in a simulated workplace using full scale devices in a controlled and safe environment, it will take around 4 hours.

On successful completion of this course, participant will be issued with:

  • Statements of Attainment in
  • RIIWHS201E Work safely and follow WHS policies and procedures
  • RIICOM201E Communicate in the workplace
  • RIIWHS205E Control traffic with stop-slow bat
  • RIIWHS206 Control traffic with portable traffic control devices and temporary traffic signs.
  • SafeWork NSW Statement of Completion (SOC) allow participants to carry out supervised work in Traffic Control Industry immediately, Statement of Completion (SOC) is valid for 90 days during which participants must have their final practical assessment completed
  • SafeWork NSW Traffic Control Work Training (TCWT) Card, issued by SafeWork NSW once all assessments been completed. Note: SafeWork NSW TCWT card may take up to four weeks to arrive in the post from SafeWork NSW

All students doing nationally recognised training from January 1, 2015 need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). 

The USI is a reference number made up of ten numbers and letters that creates a secure online record of your recognised training and qualifications gained in Australia, from all training providers you undertake recognised training with will give you access to your training records and transcripts can be accessed online, anytime and anywhere is free and easy to create and stays with you for life

Where do I go to create my USI Number?

For more details and to create a USI go to the Government USI site www.usi.gov.au 

Primary ID (only use one primary document)


Australian Birth Certificate/card (minimum 14 years)
issued by the Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages


Australian or international passport (current or
expired within last two years, but not cancelled)


Australian Citizenship Certificate


Secondary ID – A combination of secondary documents is allowed to make up 100 points however  If using credit/savings cards or statements (up to a maximum of 2), these must be from different financial institutions (NOTE: fiancial institutions must within Australia)


Current Australian state or territory driver’s licence
or learner driver licence/permit


Current Australian state or territory boat operators photo
licence (eg personal watercraft driving licence)


Current NSW firearms photo licence


Current Australian issued high risk work licence


Current Australian state/territory proof of age or photo
card (eg a NSW RMS issued photo card)


Australian Police or Dept of Defence card (with photo)


Department Veterans Affairs card


Current Centrelink card


Property (council) rates notice issued in the last three (3) months


Property lease agreement


Home insurance papers


Utility bills issued in the last three (3) months


Current motor vehicle registration


Motor vehicle insurance papers


Telephone account issued in the last three (3) months


Current Medicare card


Credit/Savings cards/Bank statements